Saturday, July 3, 2010

ETU European Championships 2010

Back to where it all started for me.  Three years ago I did a Try a Try in Athlone on a rusty, heavy steel old racer I bought off Ebay and got fleeced for.  200M Swim / 20K Bike / 5K run in a truly shocking 1:17:58.  It was not realy a bike at all just a load of steel that resembled a bike.  This morning I had the privilege of representing my country in the Age Group European Championships.  In a way I am lost for words.  I cant say I am a winner or in the mix for awards, but I was not just a token competitor either.  Very much middle of the road and that is a great place to be. Its not too serious. Gives me time to really enjoy it.  There is very much room for improvement but I can see how and where the improvement can come from now.  It is very satisfying to to look back and see how far I have travelled, since I first laced up my brand new Asics Kayano's and waddled off for a run, well jog, actually a walk about 4 years ago.

The biggest event of my life is only a few weeks away.  It is a special time for me, but I can't help but feel guilty and actually quite sad.  If it were not for Mannix Kane and the push his situation gave me, I would not be at this stage in 2010.  I would not be considering an Ironman. And at this point I cant imagine life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment