Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dungarvan10

Was not expecting much.  In truth it has been the worst winter of training I have had in 4 years.  I have had no structure since October and was hit and miss nearly every session.  If there was a session.  Last block I completed was 3 weeks long and finished just before the start of November.  Then it was a day here a day there and then maybe not a day for a week. All winter.

Boru Tri Club established itself in Killaloe.  Local. Easy to get to sessions.  I could no longer make any excuses.  So on Monday I ventured back out into the training world and went for a run.  It was great.  20 turned out for the 1st session.  How cool.  And a sign of far Triathlon has come in Ireland.  A club in little old Killaloe. Did a bit on the turbo Tuesday, some Hill running Wednesday with some real runners  (sweet Jesus), weights and turbo Thursday, swim Friday and Saturday a run where my legs felt like crap and my heart was equally heavy.  I would never even break 80 minutes tomorrow, oh dear.

This morning I plodded around and warmed up for 10 minutes.  Stood in the crowd at the start line.  Just stood pondering.  How was I going to run this one.  Go out easy and see how you feel. So I did.  Checked pace at mile 1, 8 minutes bang on.  Fair enough.  I just let the miles tip by and realised I was increasing by 15 secs per mile up to the 6 mile mark.  I felt good. Odd I was wrecked yesterday after 3 miles at 7:40 and I was winding up to 6:50 today and feeling great.  Held on between 6:50 & 7:15 for the last 4.  Finish 72:30.  How the hell did I do that?  My P.B for 10 miles is 70:10 and I ran 6 days a week for 3 months to get it.

Your body doesn't really forget, once you smile and listen to the 2 key thing's.  Your experience & what your body is telling you.   Pacing is crucial.

Even when out of shape you can do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment